RU–Camden Information Technology hires students to fill part-time positions as consultants, support staff and technical assistants at various times throughout the year. Hiring for the Help Desk, which has the most positions, is typically done during the spring semester.
To be considered for a part-time student position, a student must be currently enrolled at Rutgers–Camden. Help Desk consultants may be any major as long as they have solid fundamental computer skills, excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a positive attitude. Other characteristics the department looks for include ambition, enthusiasm, initiative and professionalism. More specific skills may be required, depending upon the position.
Types of positions
Help Desk consultant
Type: Computer Lab Help Desk consultants
Hiring period: Applications are typically accepted in March and August. Please apply using Handshake.
Primary duties include:
- Serving as first point of contact for faculty, staff and students seeking assistance with computer-related problems in person, and over the phone
- Practicing appropriate phone and email etiquette
- Creating Help Desk tickets or relaying messages to full-time staff after gathering specific details and performing any standard basic troubleshooting procedures
- Helping customers activate their NetID and services
- Assisting with password changes
- Monitoring printer paper and toner levels in the computer lab and refilling as needed
- Maintaining the appearance and cleanliness of the lab
- Assisting full-time staff with special projects or tasks when needed
- Enforcing appropriate usage of lab, software and other computing resources according to Rutgers and OIT policies, particularly the Acceptable Use Policy for Computing and IT Resources
Any major is considered for employment as long as the applicant possesses basic computer skills. Good communication skills, a positive attitude and a willingness to learn are required. All applicants must be willing and able to learn the basic operation of all lab hardware and of the most widely-used lab software as well as standard web-based applications such as NetID activation, password reset, myRutgers portal, etc.
There are mandatory training sessions in mid-May and late August.
Web systems intern
Type: Paid Internship
Location: Rutgers University – Camden: Camden Administrative Building
Pay: Dependent upon qualification
- Become familiar with the technology and business logic of applications supported by the Web Team
- Monitoring the Web Team incidents queue and serving as first-level support
- Participating in discussions about application development and suggest ideas and improvements
- Execute development, testing ad deployment activities for new and existing application under supervision
- Gain hands-on technical skills in working with a diverse set of web and other applications
- Improve time-management and teamwork coordination skills
- Increase the size of your professional network
- Add real-world experience to your resume
- Undergraduate Rutgers University–Camden student
- In the following programs:
- Computer Science
- Management Information Systems and Ecommerce
- OR have experience with:
- Web or application development
- Providing technical support to end-users
- Available for 10 or more hours per week
If interested, please send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org