The Office of Information encourages all Rutgers community members to exercise caution and avoid scams and other cyber threats. If you are working at the University or working/learning remotely, it is important to report any suspected scams, breaches, or theft to the appropriate parties. Below are a list of actions you should take.
How to report issues with university data and equipment
- Immediately report suspected scams, abuses, unauthorized disclosure, loss or theft of restricted or internal data, as well as loss or theft of computing equipment, to your management, dean or department chair, and IT leadership.
- Suspected email scams and data compromises as described above should also be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org and to your local Help Desk.
|Type of Cyber Threat||Actions|
|For suspected Phishing or other email scams:|
|For password compromises – i.e. a malicious link that redirects you to a fake login page – do the following:|
|All other abuses, unauthorized disclosures or access, loss or theft of restricted or internal data should be reported as follows:|
- If PHI (Protected Health Information) or the likelihood of PHI data is involved, contact University Ethics and Compliance at 1-833-783-8442.
- Report loss or theft of physical assets to University Police.
- RUPD – New Brunswick 732-932-7211
- RUPD – Camden 856-225-6111
- RUPD – Newark 973-353-5111
- RUPD – RBHS at Newark 973-972-4491
For general questions or concerns regarding Information Security topics, email email@example.com.
How to report issues with personal accounts and services
- Contact your service provider for guidance and next steps.
- Change all compromised account passwords and use multi-factor authentication if available.
- If passwords have been reused across several accounts/services, then reset all affected passwords (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.). Note that social media accounts can be utilized to authenticate into other systems.
- Report suspected scams to the applicable industry or regulatory agency. A sample listing is included below.