The following message was sent to Rutgers faculty and staff on May 5, 2021.
Members of the Rutgers Community:
As the Spring 2021 semester comes to an end, we would like to provide you with an update on the transition to Canvas as the university’s official learning management system (LMS). Even with the many challenges of the past year, we have made significant progress, thanks to the diligent work and collaboration among faculty members, instructional designers, and technology teams at Rutgers.
Consider these milestones:
- As of Spring 2021, over 15,000 courses have been migrated. Approximately 80% of all courses that use an LMS are now on Canvas.
- Migrations for Moodle are complete, and migrations for Blackboard will be completed by June 2021.
- Sakai migrations are set to be completed by the end of Fall 2021. Once migrations are complete, some Sakai functionality will be removed including new site creation, adding a course roster, and adding participants.
- Plans for access and retention of data for the legacy learning systems are either under development or awaiting approval.
With this progress, we are ahead of schedule. All planned migrations will be completed by December 2021, making Canvas the exclusive Rutgers LMS beginning in the Spring 2022 semester.
Meanwhile, plans are being formulated for the many project-based sites (as opposed to course sites) created over the years in Sakai. Project sites in Sakai will remain available while the plan for migration, training, and support is under development; however, users will no longer be able to create new sites, add a course roster, or add participants. We encourage you to explore the other tools are available at Rutgers for project sites, including Box and Microsoft Teams.
If you have questions related to the LMS transition project, please contact your local support contact:
- Rutgers University–Newark: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rutgers University–Camden: email@example.com
- Rutgers University–New Brunswick and Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences: firstname.lastname@example.org or your local instructional support group
The LMS transition to Canvas has been a real community effort. We want to thank our faculty, students, and staff, especially our instructional design, support, and technology teams, for their hard work and determination during this major project.
Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer