The Office of Information Technology recently integrated Webex and Zoom within Canvas. Now with the integrations of Webex, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and Canvas Conferences, Rutgers instructors are equipped with a multitude of synchronous meeting applications for remote learning.
Having these options will provide flexibility and responsiveness for all Rutgers users. The features of these external apps and online pedagogy will impact which tool instructors elect to use.
Now, instructors can schedule Webex meetings and facilitate collaboration within Rutgers Canvas and it will allow them to:
- Schedule single-occurrence and recurring meetings.
- Easily schedule recurring office hours to allow students to claim a meeting time.
- Automatically award Canvas assignment points for attendance with the Webex Meetings Attendance Grading.
- Invite non-enrolled guests via a persistent meeting link.
- View all scheduled Webex Meetings via My Meetings.
As part of the integration, Webex Meetings and Trainings are also included in Rutgers Canvas. Please note Webex Classroom Collaboration is not available at this time.
In order to use the Webex integration within Canvas, instructors will need to have an existing Rutgers Webex account. Users can sign up for an account via the Rutgers Webex website.
Canvas instructors can also use Zoom to schedule meetings within their courses. Benefits of this new integration include:
- Creating, managing, and launching Zoom meetings from within a Canvas course.
- Hosting recurring office hours across multiple courses.
- Scheduling recurring meetings for a single course.
- Viewing, managing, and downloading Zoom recordings directly from a Canvas course.
- Students can enter Zoom meetings by simply clicking “Join” with the ease of single sign-on.
To use Zoom within Canvas, Rutgers NetID users will need an existing Rutgers Zoom account and set their default Canvas email to email@example.com. Users can sign up for an account via the Rutgers Zoom website.
Next steps and additional information
Instructors should review this Synchronous Meetings Comparison Chart in order to begin working with the synchronous meeting external application of their choice. The Rutgers Canvas website includes additional support documentation for the Webex integration and Zoom integration within Canvas.
Please note students do NOT need Rutgers accounts in order to join a Webex or Zoom meeting within Canvas.
For any questions about the new integrations within Canvas, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.Tags: Canvas, Webex, Zoom