These instructions will walk through the steps to set up Mozilla Thunderbird with Rutgers Connect.
Please note that IMAP/SMTP settings are disabled for all users by default. If you require the ability to use IMAP/SMTP with your Connect account please contact your Connect domain administrator.
- Open Up Thunderbird.
- Select Local Folders and under Create a new account select Email.
- Click on Skip this and use my existing email.
- Fill out the following information:
- Your Name: Your First and Last name as it should appear on Email
- Email Address: Your Rutgers Connect Domain Email Address
- Password: For Thunderbird versions prior to 78, enter your password. For Thunderbird 78 or later leave this blank.
- Click Continue
- You will see a checkmark indicating “Configuration found in Mozilla ISP database.”
- Click Done.
Before continuing if using Thunderbird 78 or later, you must update your security settings as follows:
- Navigate to Account Settings > Server Settings > Security Settings > Authentication Method and select OAuth2 from the dropdown.
- Navigate to Outgoing Server on the left-hand panel of the account settings screen.
- Select the Office365 (Microsoft) SMTP server and click Edit on the righthand side
- Change the Authentication method to OAuth2 then click OK.
Now, when you attempt to view your inbox, instead of being prompted for your password by thunderbird, you will be redirected to authenticate with your password and two-step login with Duo.
After authenticating, setup is complete. Email data will take some time to sync.