A collaborator is an individual who has been invited into a file or folder on Box. When a user is added to a file or folder as a collaborator, the item they’ve been invited to access will appear in their All Files page.
If you send a collaboration invitation to a person without a Box account, that person will be prompted to sign up with Box before being able to access the content.
Learn about getting started with a Box at Rutgers account.
NOTE: When someone with your enterprise’s domain receives an invitation to collaborate in a folder and they don’t yet have a Box account, an account will be provisioned and that user will automatically become a managed user under your enterprise instance.
Identify all created accounts when inviting collaborators
Admins can identify all accounts created this way through the Admin Console reporting section:
- Do not select any groups so the report captures all users
- Select Created new user under User and Group Management
- The details column will show when the user was created by Collaboration Invite
To invite a collaborator into a folder
- Open the folder in which you’d like to invite collaborators
- In the Sharing tab of the right-hand sidebar, click Share this Folder
- In the dropdown menu that appears, click Invite Collaborators
Alternatively, you can:
- Locate the folder in which you’d like to invite collaborators
- Click Share to the right of the folder name
- In the dropdown that appears, click Invite Collaborators
To invite a collaborator into a single file
- Open the folder in which the file is located
- Right click the file or click the ellipses (…) to open the More Options menu
- Click Share
- Select Invite Collaborators
Once you have invited collaborators to the file, the Collaborator badge will be displayed beside the file’s name.
Additional info about inviting collaborators
- When inviting collaborators to a single file, the only available access level is Editor.
- Users can change this access level to Viewer from the Manage Collaborators page.
- These are the only access levels available for collaborators on a single file.
- All collaboration settings configured by enterprise admins apply to both single files and folders.
- Free Box accounts are limited to three collaborators across their account.